Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Cooky Clucky Housewife

Dear Diary,

Yesterday turned out to be a fabulous day! It literally couldn't have gone better. Do you ever randomly just hit a string of good luck? Well, we don't. We are always the ones who people apologize to and say "This has never happened before". But yesterday was freaking awesome! I would re-live yesterday over and over again if I could.

As I laid in bed last night thinking about how unexpectedly awesome the day turned out to be, it got me thinking about our expectations and how the real thing typically measures up....


I woke up this morning thinking today was going to be decent. Not overly good, but not necessarily bad either. I had a few things on the agenda today that I was looking forward to, (buying Easter goodies, catching up on Interior Therapy with Jeff Lewis and Million Dollar Listing New York episodes on the DVR, and even a lunch date with Daddy) and several cleaning type things I wasn't. . Our second vehicle, my Grandma's old car that she can no longer drive, is LONG overdue for an oil change and Daddy suggested I meet him at the car place and have lunch while we waited for it to be ready. The problem is that he is only supposed to have 30 minutes for lunch. He can sometimes take a little longer without it being a problem, but he also doesn't want to push the envelope, especially when his boss is around for the day.

We met at the restaurant (which had changed names. It's now a wing place), sat down for lunch, and were content to enjoy our nice, albeit short, time together. Surprisingly, Daddy spots The Boss and one of his coworkers walk through the door of the restaurant. They lock eyes and I had this moment of panic, like we were back in high school and just got caught skipping class. We held our breath as we waited for The Boss's reaction. A smile. :-) A smile and a wave. #Relief Before I knew it, The Boss and his co-worker were headed our way and asked if they could join us. "Of course!" we insisted. I had a moment of disappointment at the loss of our romantic lunch date before settling on excitement at the prospect of getting to "win over" The Boss. I've only met him once, fleetingly, and I didn't get the feeling he cared much for me, or about me. #sadface So here was my opportunity to put on the charm and get this guy on my team!

You could tell it was kind of awkward at first. Aussie, the co-worker, is hilarious and I'm always excited to chat with her. I was banking on the fact that she would help move things along and she didn't let me down. She prattled on about some crazy work drama and The Boss even cracked a few jokes himself. There was my opening.

Somehow I subtly worked my way into the conversation and before long I could see The Boss loosening up. Halfway through our meal we were that riotous bunch that other diners hate. We were loud, obnoxious, and I was LOVING it! The Boss had totally let his guard down and we were all cracking jokes left and right. We ended up sitting there talking for over an hour and a half. An hour and a half! Three times as long as a normal lunch is supposed to last. But we were with The Boss so anything goes.

I'm still reeling from the way the afternoon turned out. It really goes to show that when we don't get bogged down in making our lives match our expectations, we are able to be open to bigger and better opportunities. Given the option of 30 minutes alone with my husband and feeling rushed, versus 90 minutes spent with a jolly group of (now) friends, I will always choose more time, a more relaxed environment, and more fun!!

I'm so glad I was able to set aside my expectations of how this day was supposed to go. It's 2:30 and I have yet to get a single thing on my To-Do list done, but who cares! I just won-over The Boss, spent 90 minutes with my sweetheart, and am in such a perfect mood for the rest of the day. That's all that really matters. I mean what's the point of getting out of bed every morning if it's only ever going to be about following a list? I may not have been responsible or productive today but I sure had fun. And every once in a while we need a day like today to remind us what life is all about. Today, I am calling myself The Cooky Housewife because boy, did we have a hoot!  :-)

                                                     Father's Day 2011

Have you ever run into your boss in an unexpected place? Ever been caught playing hooky? Spill it! 

Love and Blessings,
The Cooky Clucky Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment